- vi. 倾听;留心听 try to hear;pay attention
- vi. 听信,听从 take notice;hear or consider with thoughtful attention
hear with intention;
"Listen to the sound of this cello"
listen and pay attention;
"Listen to your father"
"We must hear the expert before we make a decision"
pay close attention to; give heed to;
"Heed the advice of the old men"
- She is listening to the radio.
- It is boring to listen to the same story.
- He should listen to his intimate feelings.
- He refused to listen to the old man's counsel.
- You should not listen to rumour.
- He listened, but could hear nothing.
- She listened closely while he read.
- If you listen carefully, you can hear a funny sound in the engine.
- If you listen, you can hear the music.
- He listened with all his mind.
- “Now listen,Tom, there are some things I want to know,”said Tom's father.
- “Listen,Lina, we have no money,”said mother.
- Listen, mates, we must go faster.
- There must be something wrong with the motor—it doesn't listen right.
- Our school band listens better than it did last year.
- listen at( v.+prep. )
把耳朵贴在…上听 keep one's ear near to sth in order to hear sth
listen at sth
He likes to listen at the keyhole of others.
He listened at the door for a moment.
- listen for( v.+prep. )
注意听,等着听 pay attention so as to be sure of hearing
listen for sth/v-ing
Time and again, they laid their ears against the track to listen for the sound of approaching wheels.
She sat quite still, listening for her baby's cry.
Please listen for the telephone bell while I am having the meeting in the next room.
She is listening for the postman.
The children listened for the bell to announce the New Year.
The sick man listened for the doctor's coming.
- listen in( v.+adv. )
监听,窃听 listen to a private conversation
I missed the broadcast,I forgot to listen in.
People used to listen in regularly before the days of television.
在电视出现以前,人们经常收听广播。listen in to sth
I always try to listen in to the news.
I listened in to the exciting conclusion of the story yesterday.
We listen in to Radio Beijing's English programme every evening.
Did you listen in to the Prime Minister's speech yesterday evening?
My family will listen in to the news at 7：00 .
我家7点钟收听新闻。listen in on sth
I was listening in on the radio.
We listened in on the premier's press conference.
I was listening in on the radio when you called.
If you listen in tonight you'll hear my brother talking about his new play.
It was impossible to discuss anything private over the telephone, as the operator was in the habit of listening in.
Please speak quietly,I think somebody is listening in.
请小声点,我想有人在窃听。listen in to sth
Someone has been listening in to our telephone conversation.
有人一直在窃听我们的电话谈话。listen in on sth
It's rude to listen in on other people's telephone calls.
I think the police have been listening in on my phone calls.
She likes to listen in on other's private conversation.
- listen out( v.+adv. )
听完 finish listening
Listening out now,I'll talk to you again tomorrow.
- listen out for( v.+adv.+prep. )
期待 wait expectantly for (sth)
listen out for sth
Please listen out for the phone while I'm in the bath.
- listen to( v.+prep. )
听从 allow oneself persuaded by
listen to sb/sth
The students are listening to their teacher in class.
Will you listen to me when I'm talking to you!
Nobody listened to her while she spoke.
If you take Harry's advice, you'll be sorry that you listen to him.
We're going to listen to a report this afternoon.
We listened to the President's inaugural speech on the radio yesterday.
They listen to the English lessons over the radio every day.
She would sit for hours listening to the songs of the birds.
He was listening to the music.
I will listen to any suggestion you make.
They listened attentively to the criticism of the customers.
Listen to both sides and you will be enlightened, heed only one side and you will be benighted.
兼听则明,偏信则暗。listen to wh-clause
The boys heard their father's voice but were not listening to what he was saying.
Make good use of your time in class. Listening to what the teacher says in class means less work later.
要充分利用课上的时间。上课认真听老师讲课,以后就可以少花力气。listen to sb to/- v
He listened to us talk.
I listened to her recite the text.
I often listened to him speak in English.
He listened to me repeat in detail what Mary had said the day before.
The child liked to follow his uncle about and talked with him or listen to him ask funny questions.
那孩子喜欢跟着叔叔四处走,同他说话或听他问些滑稽可笑的问题。listen to sb v-ing
The family were listening to the girl singing at that time.
We listened to the band playing last night.
Sometimes we would sit and listen to her playing the Chinese fiddle, which would make her very happy.
He listened a while to her rubbing clothes on the metal washstand.
他有一阵子在听她在金属脸盆架上搓衣服。listen to sb/sth/wh-clause
Soldiers should listen to orders.
Don't listen to him—he's a very foolish fellow.
You should listen to your parents.
She listens to you and I wish you'd give her sensible advice.
If you'd listened to me, you wouldn't be in trouble now.
I told him not to go, but he simply wouldn't listen to me.
Don't listen to such foolish advice.
Why don't you listen to what the teacher says?
- listen aimlessly 无目的地听
- listen apprehensively 不安地听
- listen attentively 倾听
- listen carefully 注意听
- listen closely 仔细倾听
- listen compassionately 同情地听
- listen distractedly 心不在焉地听
- listen dreamily 心不在焉地听
- listen impassively 无动于衷地听
- listen impatiently 不耐心地听
- listen indulgently 听着…入迷
- listen intently 专心致志地听
- listen interminably 没完没了地听
- listen languidly 无精打采地听
- listen patiently 耐心地听
- listen piously 虔诚地听
- listen raptly 听…着迷
- listen sympathetically 同情地听
- listen in on the radio 收听广播
- listen in the music 收听音乐
- listen out for the phone 留心电话
She was often on the watch, and always on the listen.出自： G. Manville Fenn
'Did you have a nice talk?' 'I had a long listen'.出自： P. Bair
Listening the lordly music.出自： Tennyson
- listen是不及物动词,常与介词to连用,还可作“听从,同意”解, to后面常接建议、劝告、请求、意见等名词。
- listen to表示“留心听,仔细听”,接名词、代词或疑问词引导的从句作宾语,还可接以不带to的动词不定式、现在分词充当补足语的复合宾语。
- 在俚语中, listen可表示“听上去,听起来”,这时多用作系动词,接形容词作表语。
- listen, hear
- 1.hear强调听的结果——“听到”; listen强调听的动作——“倾听”,而不管是否“听到”。例如:
- I listen but heard nothing.我听了听,但什么都没听到。
- If you listen, you can hear the music.如果你留心听,你就会听到音乐的。
- She is listening to music.她正在听音乐。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的listnen，意为听。