- [C]〈美〉支票 (special printed form on which one writes an) order to a bank to pay a sum of money from one's account to another person
a written order directing a bank to pay money;
"he paid all his bills by check"
withdraw money by writing a check
- Don't forget to date your cheque.
- I hope this cheque doesn't bounce.
- He drew a cheque to her.
- Payments by cheque easily outnumbered cash transactions.
- Will you lend me some money to tide me over until I get my pay cheque?
- You must put a cheque on your spending.
- It's an invalid cheque.
误 My brother opened a cheque for me.
正 My brother drew a cheque for me.
正 My brother wrote out a cheque for me.
析 开支票不可说open a cheque,而须说write out〔draw〕 a cheque。另一次有人看见爱因斯坦把一张1500美元的支票当书签用。
误 Another time Einstein was seen using a cheque of $1500 as a bookmark.
正 Another time Einstein was seen using a cheque for $1500 as a bookmark.